Throughout my time as a business coach, I have heard from many clients asking what to do when their family isn’t supportive of their business. I can understand why family might have concerns, but I also get really fired up when it comes to supporting women in business.
I’m here to walk you through what I tell my clients when this situation happens. Here are the main points discussed in this episode:
- The transition of family as customers
- Family and friends may not have seen you in your profession before
- They want us to be safe and running your own business isn’t always seen as safe to them
- Show them, don’t tell them
- Consider not asking for their feedback; utilize someone who has done it or has experience
- Surround yourself with a supportive community
A few highlights from this episode:
[2:49] – The first thing you need to remember is that what got you here might not get you there.
[4:33] – Family can be a fantastic start, but it’s not likely who you want to work with forever.
[6:47] – Our friends and family love us and want us to be safe. And safety to them is not entrepreneurship. It does not feel safe.
[11:52] – Let this be the thing that moves you into action, because nothing is going to make your family be supportive faster than you doing it.
Be open to hearing their perspective but understand that family might not see your business in the same way that you do. Find your community who can support you along the way and has experience from walking this path!
Personal branding can work for you! Connect through my weekly emails with tips for how to start building your personal brand today. Join now!
Some of the best conversations happen after the show in my private Facebook group, Take It Personally Podcast. Click here to join in!