I love the discussion around stock photography and using this opportunity within your business. We previously had a conversation regarding it way back in episode #2 with my friend Annie Otzen.
We are again discussing stock photography as a source of passive income with Aubrey Westlund this time, and I love what she has to share about it. In this episode, we talk about different agencies, how to get started, and how to make it approachable. Here are some of the big points that Aubrey touches on:
- Why Aubrey is passionate about stock photography
- The income opportunity and potential that comes with stock photography
- Is stock photography a lot of work? And how Aubrey keeps up with it
- How to get started and agencies out there
- Different aspects to different agencies
- Diversifying your portfolio
- Releases possibly needed before submitting photos
- Adding keywords to help your images be found
- How Aubrey finds inspiration and goes about deciding what to submit
A few highlights from this episode:
[4:32] – Stock photography is sort of a numbers game. The more you put into it up front, the more you’re going to earn from it every single month.
[12:56] – Try to show off what you can do. If you have different abilities, different styles – show that off! With stock you don’t have to narrow it down as much.
[26:53] – If you want to get really into this and build a portfolio that is guaranteed to make you sales every single month, then you want to think about what’s happening each month and try to upload images accordingly.
[29:39] – I think it depends on the type of photographer you are and what inspires you.
You can connect with Aubrey for more passive income tips via her website or on social media @aubreywestlund. Aubrey also has a free download called The Little Black Book of Stock Photo Agencies which compares agencies and helps you decide the best one to use.
Some of the best conversations happen after the show in my private Facebook group, Take It Personally Podcast. Click here to join in!