Do you ever feel burnt out and overwhelmed, but then you look at your to-do list and calendar and it’s not even that much to handle?
If you don’t have a good grasp on your schedule and things are getting forgotten, or you feel like you can’t keep up or stay organized, this episode is for you! Once I got a better handle on my schedule, I found I was able to avoid that constant overwhelming feeling.
I’m walking through my weekly planning routine. Here are the main things discussed:
- Using both a paper calendar and Google calendar
- Why I start with scheduling in my free time FIRST (and what I mean by “free” time)
- Creating my to-do list for the week (for both family and work) and trimming it down
- Preparing food according to my schedule
- Blocking out time on calendar for tasks
- Having specific directions for each task and what needs to happen in that timeframe (‘work on podcast’ is not helpful enough!)
- How I utilize my to-do list to make the most of my time when I finish tasks early
- Including enough buffer time on your calendar
A few highlights from this episode:
[7:49] – I’m figuring out things like what deadlines I have to meet this week, are there any shoots that I need to prepare for, are there any events or activities that the kids have coming up that I need to be aware of.
[8:03] – After I have it all out of my head and onto paper, I go through and see which of these items I can take off my plate for this week.
[14:49] – Because my non-negotiable free time tasks are already there, everything else goes in around those activities. Not vice versa.
[19:36] – I feel like I have a lot more freedom because I am so clear every single week on everything that I have going on, so I feel like I can make decisions from a more empowered place when it comes to my client load, my schedule, all of those things, as opposed to just kind of throwing spaghetti at the wall and hoping that it sticks.
If you are in a place of feeling overwhelmed, it might be time to take a look at your schedule. Be sure to schedule in time for yourself and your ‘self-care’ tasks! Getting clear on your planning and schedule can help reduce the overwhelm and help you feel confident because you know exactly what’s going on throughout your week.
Some of the best conversations happen after the show in my private Facebook group, Take It Personally Podcast. Click here to join in!