Oh, Instagram. We love to hate it, right? I actually love Instagram, but I hear frequently from other people who can’t stand the app anymore because it’s become so different from when we first started using it. I also tend to hear many people blaming the algorithm (i.e.: the algorithm is the reason that their engagement is down or no one is seeing their post). And today I’m here for a major dose of reality and to tell you…it’s not the algorithm’s fault.
The Instagram algorithm was specifically created so that people would see engaging content that they want to connect with. And quite frankly, if you are not creating engaging content that people want to connect with, the algorithm is going to hurt you. And in my opinion, it should. If you’re not creating good content that people actually want to see, why should Instagram show your content to people?
I know this can be hard to hear as we all try to put out good content, but if you are struggling with engagement on Instagram, that may just be the case. That is why in today’s episode of Take it Personally I am talking about 3 things you can do right now to boost your Instagram engagement and ultimately create it to be a place you want to be and where your audience has fun.
Here’s a little recap of the episode:
- Ask your audience an engaging question. Yes, this sounds so obvious, but we often forget to include a reason to make your audience stick around and engage back.
- Help your audience realize your space is a fun place and worth engaging with.
- It’s as simple as this: engage back. Respond to DMs. Comment back to people’s comments. Engage with people you follow.
- If you want more followers, you need to be a good host to the followers you currently have. Treat your current audience like kings and queens.
- Focus more on saves and shares in 2020. Encourage your audience to do those things (versus simply liking your post).
Some highlights from this episode:.
[9:28] – Make your audience feel seen and heard. Build those deep, meaningful connections that make people come back for more.
[12:21] – Saves and shares will play a bigger part in the algorithm this year, over just getting a ‘like’ on your post. Here’s how to encourage your audience to do that more this year.
[17:28] – Listen to your audience and what they want to see more of and figure out how you can provide that to them.
I hope these tips were helpful and that you can start implementing them today! I think we sometimes make Instagram out as the bad guy, but it should be a fun place to be. We often overthink it, but we just need to bring it back to the basics.
Join the conversation in the Take It Personally Facebook group. Click here!